10 December 2008

Thoughts on "love melts us"

A friend's short story included the line "Love melts us," and I just think that is so true. And, I don't mean in the 80's love song way -- at least not completely.

I recently wrote a poem about love's melting abilities.



I listen to a song in my car on the way to work.


I listen to a song in my car on the way to work.
It’s a sad song about longing, un-returned love –
Heart on the sleeve kind of thing.
I’ve heard this one before
And really felt it.
Now the feeling passes me by like a bus that left me off on a previous pass.
Oh, yes, the driver makes eye contact with me, but
She shakes her head as if to say:
“You don’t belong on this bus.”
My arms extended, I see them fly by:
The passengers, the weepers, the gnashers of teeth, the dreamers.
Tearless, I think, I don’t belong here
And rewind the song and listen again.
And again.

No comments: