19 December 2008

I missed Leonard Cohen's concert at the Montreux Jazz Festival by a couple days this past summer.



"And you know that she's half crazy
And that's why you want to be there.
And she feeds you tea and oranges
That come all the way from China.
And just when you mean to tell her
That you have no love to give her
then she gets you on her wavelength
and she lets the river answer
That you've always been her lover."

I remember J-A sharing his "Hallelujah" with me in the first year or so of college. It moved us and revolutionized my understanding of joy and pain.

"Love is not a victory march; It's a cold and it's a broken Hallelujah."

Later, I heard Rufus Wainwright's cover and later still, Jeff Buckley's.

I'm watching Rufus Wainwright on the Martha Stewart Show this morning.

This past year, I saw Rufus cover Judy Garland songs at the Hollywood Bowl, and it was there that I first heard of Martha Wainwright! I can't find a copy of her "You've Cheated Me" to post.


"I'm miles from where you are; I lay down on the cold ground"

Then, I saw Loudon Wainwright III, the father, in concert this Fall. I guess this makes me a Wainwright fan. I need to see the mum, Kate McGarrigle, in concert next.

2 comments:

Tyler Dilts said...

Hey, have you heard Brandi Carlile's Hallelujah? It's my personal favorite. Her version's not on youtube, but you might find this interesting.

http://www.youtube.com/watch?v=VxOXc3_iBQ4

dra cristina said...

Fascinating! Thanks for sharing that. I heard Brandi's cover at her show in LB...when she opened for the Indigo Girls. You were there, right?