23 February 2011

things of old

Been writing and talking a lot about the things that I used to like in high school that may not have been so healthy for me; in fact, they are downright disturbing and my love of them makes me wonder.  Here's some I've been thinking about:
Christina's World by Wyeth,


Donne's "Batter My Heart,"

Batter my heart, three person'd God; for, you

As yet but knocke, breathe, shine, and seeke to mend;
That I may rise, and stand, o'erthrow mee,'and bend
Your force, to breake, blow, burn and make me new.
I, like an usurpt towne, to'another due,
Labour to'admit you, but Oh, to no end,
Reason your viceroy in mee, mee should defend,
But is captiv'd, and proves weake or untrue.
Yet dearley'I love you,'and would be loved faine,
But am betroth'd unto your enemie:
Divorce mee,'untie, or breake that knot againe,
Take mee to you, imprison mee, for I
Except you'enthrall mee, never shall be free,
Nor ever chast, except you ravish mee.

And this here book too.

1 comment:

Erin said...

I'm so curious why A Severe Mercy was/is bad for you? I'll never forget reading that book.