20 March 2009

A day in Highland Park, Filipino Town, and South Pasadena



This day began with a trip with Oliver and Smokey to the dog park along the 110 in HP. In the small dog pen, Oliver met Betty Boop and Lola. When they left, Oliver and I moved to the big dog pen, and Oliver stayed very close to me because the huge German Shepherd and Pit Bull were, well, huge. Smokey, who had been in the pen all along, admonished the other big dogs for picking on Oliver. We thought that was cool.

Dad then came for lunch, and we went to Chico's (props to Mel, Daniel, and Diana) because I adore his Cafe de Olla. It reminds me of living in Guanajuato when my house mother would roast the coffee beans, we'd help peel them, and she would make for us every morning the nummy concoction of coffee, cinnamon, sugar, and milk. Dad advised me to be more confrontational.


The afternoon was spent running some errands for Tribal friends near Filipino Town and Silverlake. We visited http://www.thinkspacegallery.com/ as well and lingered in the "Sins of Atticus Finch" Gallery.

The day concluded with a visit to the Farmer's Market in Old Town South Pasadena. I LOVED buying these flowers. There is something lovely about carrying fresh flowers in an outdoor market.


Some amazing girlfriends and I finished the evening by listening to soft jazzy renditions of "Rainbow Connection" as well as James Taylor tunes at the Firefly on El Centro. I don't remember hearing "Pure Imagination," but I'm pretty sure it was there in spirit. We listened and shared. We remembered goodness in ourselves by recognizing the goodness in the other.

Reminds me of: "I need your grace to remind me to find my own."

No comments: